Sunday, September 2, 2007

Technorati - Yikes!

Week 6: thing 14

I admire all the work that the designers/programmers at Technorti did over the past three years. Taking something from "idea" to "product" is a wonderful accomplishment.
I would never use Technorati in an elementary school library as a way for students to do a search nor do I think our district would allow it. Why? When I did the discovery exercises and typed School Library Learning 2.0 and clicked posts - some of the sites that came up surprised even me. A few had such things as "hairy ass" and "sexual massage", others had exotic cars. Which ever site had the word - school, library, learning or 2.0 in came up. Under tags, I got the same thing. The only click that came up with blogs from School Library Learning was the blog click.
It seems like sometimes we spend too much time policing students when they are online. Technorti would, in my opinion, make it very difficult to keep students on task.
As for keeping track of the millions of bloggers out there - good for them. I don't think that I would search for blogs. If someone I knew had one, I'd look at it. With Library Learning I check out other blogs to see what others have learned. If I came across a blog by accident that interested me - I'd del.icio.us it. Even for my own blog - I don't expect it to be read by anyone other than those taking the library learning class (or other library techs. in my district for information reasons).
Looking at the popular blogs, searches and tags - I don't get it. What is popular for some, sure isn't for all. I didn't really find one thing that I cared to read all the way through.

No comments: