Sunday, September 2, 2007

Library 2.0

Week 6: thing 15

I read all the articles and for me "Wikipedia Library 2.0" explained what the concept of library 2.0 is while the other articles were personal thoughts. I realize the Wikipedia is also personal thoughts but the way it was written, seemed more factual. There were parts I liked and parts I didn't like in all of the articles.
I hope that books are never totally replaced by a computer. At my school, several students still do not have computers at home and especially not laptops (I don't even have a laptop!), you can't take a computer on vacation, a grown up sitting in front of a computer reading a good night story isn't a pretty picture. Should all those quaint practices disappear?
I do agree that as technology advances and the times change - libraries need to be part of the change. The old card catalog needs to be replaced with an online search engine (such as OPAC). Being online with a card catalog allows teachers, students and parents to see if a library has what is needed or desired. Resources should be available online (encyclopedias for example). A library should have a website (both public and school). A library website is able to cover a wide scope of information - hours, links, events, etc. Not every book or even enough of needed subject books (such as planets) can be purchased by most school libraries - so online resources are great. The need for technology in a modern day library is necessary.
When I read the Wikipedia 2.0 article, I felt pretty good about where I am in our elementary school library. We do have OPAC, I do have a library website, I do ask students, parents, teachers for ideas on how to improve or what they would like to see in our library, I do work with students on how to do research online. But, I also love books! I read to most classes, I booktalk, I genre talk, I encourage checking out books for not only school work but for pleasure.

Library 2.0 - What does it mean to me, what does it mean for school libraries?

Library 2.0 is learning what tools are out there. I know that I would not know of many of the tools I have learned about without School Library Learning 2.0. Library 2.0 is embracing new ideas/concepts and realizing you don't have to use them all. It's the idea of being open to new things and willing to try them out and finding ways to tie it all together to make learning come alive for students.
What does it mean for the school library? The answer to that lies in how much a district is willing to put into their school libraries. A brand new library with super technology is not going to matter or help students if it isn't staffed! This is not a rant paper, so I will just leave it at that.

No comments: