Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Not a WOW

Week 4: thing 8 and thing 9

I signed on to Google Reader and added five subscriptions. But, the RSS feeds were not something that wowed me! Maybe with more sites getting on the band wagon, I will learn to like and/or use it more. I like the listserv that I'm on along with checking my "favorite" sites. I don't really have a desire to be that up to the minute. To enjoy the newpaper in the morning with a cup of coffee works fine for me!
I can see RSS feeds working for an Economics teacher. But I tried and can't think of any way that I would use it on a personal or library level especially in the elementary library. I do know now to look for the little orange RSS box if I do find something that I want to be kept up on. And so I thank Learning 2.0 for exposing me to something new.
Up to this point I have enjoyed all the activities - but this one was my least favorite so far. Some of the feeds wouldn't work when I tried to add them to Google Reader. As a matter of fact, the San Jose Mercury News link on the Learning 2.0 site comes up with a list of blogs from the Learning 2.0 students! I did like the Edublog Awards search - it made it easy to see what is considered the best of the best - added Hey Jude. I do like a search page that tells you what the site is going to be about in detail and most of them did that.
For now, I'd have to give RSS feed a thumbs down!

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Bloglines is a WOW (and lifesaver) for your CSLA 2.0 Team project manager. At first, I wasn't impressed. Then, I realized how many CSLA members were registering for School Library Learning 2.0. I needed to know AT A GLANCE which blogs were active or "on vacation." Bloglines saved the day. I now am addicted to clicking on it to see how many CSLA bloggers have posted in the morning, or over lunch break, or in the evening, or at dawn -- and this final week my bloglines account is always showing new posts. Bloglines has been indispensible for monitoring 160+ CSLA blogs. WOW.

So... if you were to invite a few of your colleagues to take the course this school year, you could want to set up a bloglines account just to monitor them so you could cheer them on.

Best wishes!
- Jackie Siminitus
CSLA 2.0 Team project manager

Cjewell said...

Thanks Jackie!
I appreciate Learning 2.0 because of all the new tools out there that I am learning about. One day I might have a project and think, "RSS - that's the way to go." Now I know it's out there and how to use it and it just might become a WOW for me too!
Carol

I tried clicking on the San Jose Mercury News Feeds again this morning from the Week 4 #8 lesson and a list of bloggers is still coming up. I know the first time I tried it, it linked to the Merc. news....