Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I Love Books!


Week 9: thing 22
I love printed books! I love the smell, the feel, being able to study the illustrations close up. I love taking a book with me everywhere I go - the dentist, doctor, airplane, bus, on vacation. I love knowing if I can't sleep, I can pick up a book and read. Printed books are awesome!
Along comes eBooks. I can't hold them, smell them, look at the pictures closely. I can't take them to the dentist, doctor or on vacation. I will have to sit at my computer and read. I am not against eBooks, but I prefer the real thing. I can see a use for them at an elementary school if the library doesn't have enough of something to go around and the classroom has a classroom full of computers. Project Gutenberg is a wonderful source for a book in a different language. A library might not have a book in a student's native language, so eBooks could be handy for that purpose.
Audio eBooks could serve, as many people have noted, ESL or SDC students. Some students learn by listening - I would like the student to have a printed book to follow along. I know several people who car travel long distances and have checked out audio books from the public library. They love them. Of course, the reader has a very big part in if the audio book is going to be enjoyable or not. In our library, we do have a few audio books. They are very seldom checked out by students or teachers.
If people read or enjoy a story for pleasure, information or assignments whatever method works for them, is fine with me. The bottom line is to get books to people and read, read, read!


No comments: